First time home buyers!! Can you see our excitement 🙂
First time home buyers!! Can you see our excitement 🙂
Nearly 43% of people consider themselves disorganized.* Whether you’re naturally organized or you’re part of the 43%, here are some tips to help you get and stay organized.
1. Sort by type and colour. Whether you’re organizing your books, clothing or other items, putting items of similar function and colour family together creates a clean and orderly appearance.
2. Invest in the right tools. If you want your items to last, make sure you store them right. For example, to help ensure that your business or special occasion clothing stays in wearable condition, buy nice hangers. Wood and fabric-covered hangers drape your clothes well, and help your clothing maintain their shape. Us wooden hangers to hang your suits, jackets or business clothes and padded fabric hangers for delicate dresses and blouses.
3. Store your seasonal clothing on a metal rolling rack, and keep it in your attic, basement or garage. Cover it to help ensure that your clothing stays dust-free until you need them again.
4. Commit to organization. It’s easy to fall back into old habits from time to time. However, to ensure that your storage spaces remain organized, commit to keeping them that way. When you put away your laundry, make sure everything goes in its designated location. And, to keep down the clutter, when you buy a new item, get rid of something you don’t
5. Display collectibles, such as designer handbags, in storage cubes or on shelves. That way you can enjoy looking at them every tim you open your closet.
* Source: IKEA Life at Home Survey, July 2012
Perhaps inspired by the closets seen on popular home design television shows and websites, homeowners are beginning to look at their closets in a new light. Whether your closets are the size of a small bedroom or the size of a locker, here are a few tips to help you get the storage spaces you’ve always wanted.
*image is California Closet
If you want to make over your bathroom, but don’t want to undertake a full renovation, here are five things to do to make it look almost like new.
1. Paint. Go classic with white, create a spa retreat with soothing blues or energize your space with orange or yellow tones. Look online or through décor magazines for a surge of inspiration.
2. Lighting. See yourself in the most flattering light with new light fixtures. New lighting is an easy way to update and modernize a space without gutting it. Just be sure to hire a professional if your plans involve any rewiring.
3. Fixtures. As with lighting, new faucets add style to your space with minimal effort. Although silver-toned faucets are the finish of choice among homeowners, brushed nickel and polished chrome are also popular choices.*
4. Window treatments. Tie the look of the room together with blinds, shades or curtains—or a combination of these options. Choose bold shades to add a pop of colour to the room or keep it neutral. Whatever you choose, make sure that it complements the overall theme or style of the room.
5. Accessories. Add style and function with new accessories. If you’d like more storage, add a wall cabinet or storage tower, or repurpose an unused storage unit from around the home. Install a new mirror or towel rack to enhance the look of the room. Buy new rugs to complement the new colour scheme, and add colour or texture with vases, wall décor or similar items.
Inner city is the perfect lifestyle for this young professional! Welcome Home 🙂
The bathroom is the second most popular room in the house to remodel, after kitchens.
The master bath takes center stage. 60% of homeowners who are renovating their bathrooms are renovating their master bathrooms, with 61% choosing to start from scratch after gutting the existing room.
Who needs a bathtub?
The older the homeowner, the more likely they are to skip a bathtub in master and other full bathrooms.
• 59% of homeowners aged 65+ plan to skip a tub in the master or other full bath.
• 36% of 25 to 34 year olds plan to skip it in the master.
• 39% of 25 to 34 year olds plan to skip it in another full bathroom.
Top 3 types of tubs for bath lovers:
1. Freestanding tub
2. Drop-in tub
3. Spa or jetted tub
One sink or two?
Glass rules the master bath.
• 79% of homeowners prefer glass shower doors over a shower curtain.
• 91% of homeowners are installing high-efficiency toilets.
White cabinets are the top choice for renovations. However, dark and medium wood tones are also popular.
The top 3 wood choices:
According to the Houzz Kitchen Trends Study, 49% of homeowners say that using eco-friendly appliances and materials in their kitchen is important. If you want to make your kitchen renovation project more eco-friendly, follow these tips:
For greener cabinets:
For greener countertops:
For greener flooring:
Sigh…. I love this time or year. Romance, pink and red hearts on everything and candy what could be better?
By no means am I a culinary connoisseur or even a real foodie but I do like to eat! I thought this week I would suggest my fave romantic restaurants in Calgary.
Don’t think you have made a wrong turn as you approach Alloy – keep going and inside you will find a modern restaurant with sleek finishes and a very creative menu. I always feel like a bit like an uneducated diner as I am the one, in any dinner party, to ask a million questions about the menu. In the case of Alloy, it is because everything sounds delicious and because I’m sure it would be uncouth to order one of everything.
Nestled in the boutique Kensington Riverside Inn property, this restaurant caters to those with a sophisticated palate. For Valentine’s Day Chef de Cuisine Michel Nop and Executive Chef Duncan Ly have developed a special seven course menu. You will need a reservation, but I know for sure that any set menu that starts with a Lobster Bisque is sure to blow you away.
With stunning and ever changing views of our beautiful city there isn’t really much that compares. It says “the Sky 360 menu takes culinary inspiration from international cultures while maintaining a fresh & local ingredient base. Prepared through contemporary French techniques, this menu takes international cuisine to the next level” and I must say that I agree! Remember if you have a reservation you will not have to pay the elevation pass to go up the Calgary Tower.
Any list would be amiss without this restaurant, ranked the #5 Best Restaurant in Canada and winner of the Best Female Chef in Canada it serves local, chef-driven, urban-rustic cuisine. My suggestion is to start with the Charcut Board and then anything else that suits your fancy – you really can’t go wrong here!
Making a stop in my Calgary neighborhood – Inglewood – is a must. At Rouge expect a warm European like atmosphere and a gourmet menu with incredible local ingredients (some even from the backyard garden). If you are new to fine dining do not hesitate to go to Rouge when you get a chance, you will not be disappointed.
Making your sweetie’s Valentine’s Day doesn’t mean taking them to any of my favourite restaurants (although that is a nice gesture) it means taking some time to let them know they are special to you. For other great date ideas this weekend in Calgary visit The Valentine’s Day Guide.
To all my friends and family – love ya xoxo